Tuesday, August 27, 2013

okra for sunday supper


Patrick and I both love fried okra (what Southerner doesn't).  Unfortunately our whirl wind courtship has left us a few pounds heavier, and the fried foods must go.  So, that left me pondering what to do with all of this okra...

The girl who now eats everything, hated her veggies as a child.  I still did up until a few years ago, when I learned to roast them, and that's when things began to change.  Nothing brings out the flavor of vegetables like oven roasting, and I really can't think of a vegetable that isn't delicious this way.  This statement still holds true after my first attempt with okra.  It's now one of our favorite dishes!

I think we Southerners boil and fry way too much!  I'm sure some of you are cringing after my last statement, but I don't see why we can't enjoy our Southern staples, while incorporating a few new cooking techniques.



roasted okra

Once you've trim the tops of your okra and cut lengthwise, toss with the following ingredients:

olive oil (go easy with the oil, you only need enough to lightly coat the okra)
sea salt & cracked black pepper
a dash of red pepper flakes

bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 mins depending on how crispy you prefer.  yes, it's that easy!




No comments:

Post a Comment